Magento Migration: Magento 1 Support Ends By June 2020
Magento is a magnificent e-commerce platform and loved by 209904 stores online. With the release of Magento 2.x, the world of Magento eCommerce is moving to this new version of Magento. It is important for stores to stay updated and start planning the migration from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.x.
Why stores should move to Magento 2.x?
To stay updated. As simple as that. Reasons also include:
- No further updates in Magento 1.x will be provided
- The official support for Magento 1.x ends by June 2020.
- Magento 2.x is designed to provide an omnichannel shopping experience to the users.
- Magento 2.x is performance optimized which will help in scaling business.
- Magento 2.x has a better user interface than Magento 1.x.
Things to keep in mind before migration from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.x:
- Check the compatibility of current extensions, custom codes, and themes with Magento 2.x.
- Make sure you have a full back-up of your Magento 1.x store database.
- Review your current site and list out the features you want to keep in your Magento 2 store and features you want to add.
- Don’t use the live store for migration, create a clone for the current site and then proceed with migration further.
- Create a complete plan for migration step by step.
Key Components of migration from Magento 1.x to Magento 2.x:
Data migration is a time-intensive process, but with the help of a data migration tool makes it easy. It creates a secure path for data to be moved from Magento 1 to Magento 2 without dropping packets. But it is not simple like excel data migrations, so be very thorough with your Magento developers. The major data components are customer data, product data, Order data, and store configurations.
All the major extensions provided by the Magento community are already updated to be compatible with Magento 2. But it is advised to be ready for incompatibility issues and errors. If your current extension is not compatible with the Magento 2 update, then switch to a new extension, rather than customizing old. That will cause extra chaos in the Migration Process.
- Themes and Customizations
The new version of Magento has innovative features, that enable the merchants to customize and personalize the shopping experience for their user, with omnichannel distributions. These new updates require the use of new and updated themes. These themes are available on Magento 2.
Magento 1 to Magento 2 Migration in 4 easy steps:
- Theme Migration
Check the compatibility of the current theme with Magento 2
If compatible, use the same theme for Magento 2 store, it will be easier
If non-compatible, either customize or install a new theme for Magento 2.
- Extention Migration
Same as with the theme migration, check the compatibility of extension with Magento 2.
If it is compatible, integrate the same extension with the new Magento 2 store.
If it is not compatible, find a new extension from the Magento store to integrate with Magento 2 store.
- Custom Code Migration using Code Migration Tool
Custome codes can be migrated from Magento 1 to Magento 2 using the code migration tool. This makes the migration task very easy and saves enormous efforts. There is some manual work needed to edit generated files while using this tool kit.
- Data Migration using Data Migration Tool
The final but most critical step of Magneto 1 to Magento 2 migration is the data migration. Because data is the most important part of any eCommerce store. This step can become easy if the data migration tool is used for the purpose. This tool helps in migrations of products, orders, configurations, settings and categories data to the new store.
There are some reservations about migration to Magento 2 among the Magento 1 store owners. But Magento 2 is designed to enhance the user experience for both the store owner and customers. The migration process is pretty simple if it is planned properly. To keep growing in the online market, it is highly suggested to take the migration process into consideration before Magento ends support for Magento 1 by June 2020.
If you would like to consult the complete migration process with highly professional Magento developers for Magento 1 to Magento 2 migration, then get in touch with us. Our Customer Representative will get back to you in 24 hours.